Take five people, put them in a room and make them agree on something. Each has their own motives for agreeing or not agreeing on something that’s proposed.  To close then all five people must agree (Y).

The outcomes are simple:

Y Y Y Y Y < That's what we're after
Y Y Y Y N
Y Y Y N Y
Y Y Y N N
Y Y N Y Y
Y Y N Y N
Y Y N N Y
Y Y N N N
Y N Y Y Y
Y N Y Y N
Y N Y N Y
Y N Y N N
Y N N Y Y
Y N N Y N
Y N N N Y
Y N N N N 
N Y Y Y Y
N Y Y Y N
N Y Y N Y
N Y Y N N
N Y N Y Y
N Y N Y N
N Y N N Y
N Y N N N
N N Y Y Y
N N Y Y N
N N Y N Y
N N Y N N
N N N Y Y
N N N Y N
N N N N Y
N N N N N

So there’s a 1 in 32 chance of everyone agreeing or 3.12% chance of everyone being happy and therefore 96.88% it’s not going to happen.  This assumes that everyone has an even weight of influence but in real life that’s rarely the case…..

To take that further we have to start looking at Game Theory.

Here’s to 2014.

 

Advertisements